Saturday 4 February 2012

2012 has not started well - understatement!

After a pretty rough 2011 I had hoped 2012 would be better; how stupid could I have been?

After suffering pain in my neck area again I suddenly found it was spreading down through my left shoulder to my elbow, wrist, hand and fingers. Then I started to go numb from my fingers up.

After a particularly difficult day my husband was helping me get ready for bed and the pain was so intense I almost passed out. He got me in the car and took me to hospital. I had a scan then was put on a drip with morphine, steroids and anti inflamtories. A doctor came to see me and said I had a trapped nerve in my neck which was the problem and I need to see a neuro-surgeon.

I was transferred to a hospital nearer home the next day and for ten days was treated with morphine, anti-inflamatories, fitted with a neck collar and had my arm immobilised with straps. I came home with the collar and immobiliser plus morphine and anti-inflamatory drugs.

I saw my rheumotologist a couple of days ago and he examined me then referred me to a neuro-surgeon. He explained that, although it isn't his field, the operation could help the pain from my shoulder to fingers and the numbness but I would still experience pain in my neck. He also said the operation was risky because of where the problem lies. I understand that I need to think about the operation as any operation is intrusive and has it's risks. I have used a wheelchair for around 11years now and am used to this but I do have functioning arms and hands. I can walk albeit slowly and painfully. Having said that I would like to be better than I am now but if I had to wait a very long time before an operation it would be dreadful as I don't want to become reliant on morphine or a neck collar. I am somewhat confused and worried about things.

I have an appointment with a neuro-surgeon 14th February which is quick. The ball has started to roll and I hope they can help me as even typing this is painful and the morphine makes it hard to concentrate and think.

No comments:

Post a Comment